in which my attempts to be disconnected and ironic are thwarted by my sincere glee at the art of fanvidding don’t judge me
Today’s song is “The Girl Next Door” by Saving Jane, because it is about the Popular versus Unpopular thing.
- The most common, by far, is young Hermione Granger. The fun thing is, sometimes she’s the Girl Next Door (versus Fleur Delacour, who doesn’t count because Veelas are magic Sirens); but SOMETIMES, she’s the Prom Queen (versus young Ginny Weasley, which doesn’t count because Harry has never ever had a crush on Hermione.)
- Also popular? Miley Cyrus. Apparently she has a best friend. Who is less popular. And people identify with this friend?
- Now, my first thought, upon hearing the song, was “Dawson’s Creek!” Because I was 11 when it came out and thought I had a crush on a boy who was my best friend, JUST LIKE JOEY! And now Joey is crazy Katie Cruise, so I STILL can’t admit my crush on her. But the point is, Jen Lindley is popular. [Notably, Jen ACTUALLY lived next door to Dawson. Dun dun DUN.]
- Of course you’ve got Popular, because honestly, was the song written for that soundtrack? It wasn’t just next door, y’all, it was the next room! Because step-sisters!
- You’ve got your anime. Sailor Moon is an odd one because the “Girl Next Door” is become death personified later in the season. So there’s that.
- You've got your The O.C.
- You've got your Gossip Girl, which could easily be renamed "The U.E.S."
- You've got Mean Girls, which doesn't make sense in the context of the plot.
- And, of course, you have your Random Internet Lesbians RPF. Because I, apparently, suck at living. [But she was seriously a cheerleader, you guys.] [Please kill me.]